A Bear's I copy

I was raised by a family of bears who were driven mad by the strain of passing for human. What I love most about Homo sapiens is its primate nature; what I most abhor is the part that tries to deny it is a primate. Dogs, gorillas and polar bears on melting ice floes can snag my heart much easier than people most of the time. But I have learned the hard way that in order to have the kind of life I want, I have to live in a community. And to do that, I have to be the kind of creature that other beings want in their community. The work goes on, and in the meantime, medication helps. I'll keep you posted.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Stop demonizing pit bulls!

Recently pit bulls have been back in the news -- a child in Florida was killed by two pit bulls that had been kept chained in the owner's yard. Now, people in the area want to ban pit bulls. I haven't heard anyone in the news suggest banning the practice of keeping dogs chained in your yard all the time as inhumane and likely to lead to territoriality and viciousness. It must be a problem with the dogs, right? Lets get rid of them and that will solve it. A man in South Carolina was recently given 30 years in prison for a variety of charges related to breeding dogs for dog fights. There aren't many things in the world that make me sadder or angrier. Every week I see wonderful dogs at the shelter -- many of them _pit bulls_. They are almost all wonderful, sweet, loving dogs, especially toward people. I've lost two of them, who had to be euthanized because they had become too aggressive toward other animals and would be a liability to adopt out. It breaks my heart every time.

(And by the way: _Pit bull_ is not even a recognized breed -- it encompasses several different types of dogs: Staffordshire Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Bull Terriers, and others.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home